Friday, November 7, 2008

Trek Day 5


Short day today. Drying my laundry on the fence in the sun across the road from our lunch stop. Girls singing again - we are so lucky.

***

Spending the night in freezing cold Pisang (3200 m) in a huge pink tea house. When seen from a distance amidst all the other natural colored buildings here, our hotel looks like Vegas atop an eternity of pink steps (I get altitude sickness just climbing the stairs from the road to my room, I swear). But I don't care, because we have OUR OWN EN SUITE TOILETS AND SHOWERS - WOOHOO!!!! AND HOT WATER!!! We have gorgeous views of the mountains from our rooms. We arrived here early this afternoon, and did a short training/acclimatization/sightseeing hike up to the largest gompa on the trek. From the gompa, we could see Heaven's Gate and almost 360 degrees of enormous snowy mountains. The combination of the view, and the serenity of the gompa and the prayer flags brought me to tears in gratitude for my presence in this incredible place that fills me with awe.

No comments: