Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Trek Day 3










Woke up this morning in Jagat in a 3 story pink tea house to the whistling and "hwah"ing and clanging neck bells of mule trains being driven through the village around 5:00am.

***

As I tuck my toes in the footholds going up and down these mountain paths, I think often of all the of people, Nepali and trekker, whose feet have used these steps before....

***

In lovely Tal (1700 meters) for lunch (dal bhat of course). Climbed an exhausting, steep trail to get here, then edged along the river. I have never been so happy to arrive anywhere as I was to arrive at this lunch yard and my delicious hot ginger lemon drink. Have been waiting for lunch to be prepared for an hour. It's possible I will lose consciousness if I don't eat soon (haha).

***

Spending the night at Sarita's (my porter) family's tea house in Bagarchhap (2000 m). It is like a mountain retreat. There's nobody else here, but our joyous group. Smells like wood fire. Gorgeous, colorful common room. Warm water buckets for washing. Hike was long today, and I think I'm beginning to feel slight effects of altitude - a little dizzy and light-headed. Nothing else so far. Aman is cooking us fried vege egg noodles for dinner tonight. I am freezing.

No comments: