Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Trek Day 2






US Election Day!! Well, they won't actually vote until tomorrow, which will be today in the US, but today's the date...wonder when I will find out what happened. Woke up this morning to birds and cows - reminded me of the sounds from my bedroom beneath Buster Brown at home, only I was in my sleeping bag in a flimsy plywood dorm at the foot of the Himalayas, anticipating my first of probably 5 "hot lemon" teas for the day.
***
Either I'm getting used to the smell of other people's urine, or this was a fairly clean toilet. Not sure which of those options is better.
***
Nice, steep uphill to our lunch spot at Bahundanda - the muscles in my legs felt good and strong and ready for the work of climbing these mountains (with Sarita doing the real work of carrying my heavy backpack, of course). We tourists followed Nirma in a snakey line up the switchbacks, like little chickens following our mother, so that she could keep our pace slow and steady. Sweating rivers - this damn pink Bugs Off shirt does not breathe, but it needs to last for at least 3 more days!
***
Have had 1.5 liters of iodized water so far - need to finish 3 early enough in the day to keep myself hydrated, yet not having to make a trip outside to the squatting toilets in the middle of the night - and one Snickers bar. I brought 1 Snickers for every day of the hike, and am already wondering if that will be enough. Possibly nothing has ever tasted as delicious as that Snickers.

No comments: