Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Landed in Bangkok





After a typical Kim Giffin all-nighter of moving out of my apartment, cleaning, loading my car & packing everything into my storage unit at the Ventura Harbor, I walked over to the Ventura County Airporter, arriving at 8:29am for the 8:30am shuttle :) to LAX. Thanks to Tylenol PM and an awesome book about Annapurna (the region I'll be visiting in Nepal) from Sandi, my flights to Bangkok (via Tokyo) were actually pretty enjoyable. I also made a very nice Thai friend on my second flight, who told me to call her Khun Vaan -her daughter is married to a farang (Thai word for haole!) and lives in Madison, Wisconsin. Khun Vaan is my new authority on everything Thai.


Rachel was so sweet as to meet me at Bangkok Airport when I landed around midnight, and shuttle me to the guest house on Khao San Road (aka backpackers ghetto) which we've been calling home for the past few nights. Woke up early yesterday morning and took a humid train ride to the nearby city of Ayutthaya, which was formerly the capital of Thailand, and sits on the banks of the same Chao Phraya River that flows through Thailand. As you can see from the photo, I am flirting with a case of traveler's diarrhea on a pretty regular basis, but the food has been awesome so far!!! Ayutthaya is filled with ruins of ancient wats (temples) and a royal palace. I fell in love with the thousands of stone Bhuddha relics, many without heads. I'm still figuring out how to add more photos to the blog site, so hopefully I'll get more photos up soon!

1 comment:

bluebuzzard said...

I humbly thank you for the opportunity to see such beautiful ancient places through wonderful young adventurous hearts this is a good time to wander while your young and can experience it with as much mindful presence possible.
Good luck and blessings...