Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Bangkok




Spent today in Bangkok. Photo on left is Khao San Road - the traveler's gheto where we are staying right now. The photo on the right is me - taken by my guide Krissana at the Wat Pho, where I saw another enormous Reclining Buddha - this one was golden, and beautiful in a different, gleaming way than the one we saw yesterday. Rachel and I took the water taxi down the river to get to Wat Pho, and then split up to choose our own adventures for the day. I spent the afternoon touring Wat Phra Kaeo and the Grand Palace. There was an enormous Hilo-style rain storm while I was at the Grand Palace - came and went in 20 minutes. As you can see, I have only gotten nerdier while traveling. This outfit is straight out of "tourist day" from HPA Middle School Theme Week :), isn' it? Oh, by the way, in case I didn't tell you - I chopped 16 inches of hair off right before I left home, with help from my Nature Conservancy friend, Mika!! I am enjoying my stint as a boy look-alike. Less shampoo, no wet hair at night, and an interesting helmet look in the Thai humidity! I walked home through a beautiful park called the Sanam Luang, then got lost through the local university, yet another wat, and then a traveler's ghetto adjacent to ours before I finally figured out where I was on the map :) Rachel and I are heading out to soak up one last yummy Thai dinner before we head to Kathmandu first thing tomorrow morning....more from there!

Aloha, Kim

2 comments:

The said...

Holy Moly! You chopped your hair...that's an understatement. Looks like you are having fun. We miss you! How can it be that just last week we were having drinks at My Florist, and now you are in Thailand?

Rich Handley said...

I'm loving your blog. Great photos.
We're lonely here in the office without you.
We had an inch of rain over last weekend, had to cancel a legacy tour of our project, oh darn!
Things are going well here, the winter surf season is starting early, after a few weeks of really nice south swells. I had a recent Saturday out by the jetty near the National Park headquarters, glassy offshore and hot, piping tubes.
We went to a lecture by Buddhist scholar Robert Thurman (father of Uma) last night. He recently wrote a book called, Why the Dalhi Lama matters. He was a riot. The funniest, most entertaining talk I've ever attended.
By the time you read this we'll have a new Pres. Let's hope it's the right one.
Love,
Rich